[Project Announcement] Sword Art Online Comic Anthology Volume 1


The Sword Art Online Comic Anthology (ソードアート・オンライン コミックアンソロジー) is an official collection of SAO-themed one-off manga shorts by a variety of illustrators. As far as I understand, at least some of these shorts were published on the Dengeki Bunko MAGAZINE. All the stories in this volume are set during various points of the Aincrad (and Progressive) arc, but all the stories in the anthology should probably only be regarded as "officially published doujinshi" or something, since I doubt that they're canon (though I personally wouldn't mind if certain Kirisuna shorts were canon). All the stories in the anthology vary greatly in art style, plot and genre. Some of them are cute Kirisuna stories, some feature the side characters (Silica and Lisbeth), some are very random and weird, some are... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)... and some have Argo (nuff said). In case anyone is interested in reading a more detailed synopsis of the stories, click here.

I had translated the first volume a year or two ago as one of my first attempts to get into translating. I picked the anthology because I figured that barely anyone even knew about it, so there was no danger of someone else picking it up, and so I could take my time at it. But since I neither knew how to do typesetting properly nor had anything better than paint, I only had a text translation version, which I only shared with some friends who were interested in them. But seeing as ZeHaffen volunteered to help with ALL of my projects, including doing the typesetting for the anthology, we can finally get these translations out into the public.

Basically, we're going to work on this as a side project in-between our main project releases. And since the stories in the anthology have no connection to each other, we may give preference to the stories that we like more. The releases will most likely take place at random times - whenever ZeHaffen is done with them. Expect the first release around tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I saw it on your wiku userpage: Yes!!! Thank you! I have no idea what it will look like, but thank you guys for doing this, I will check it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you don't really know what this is going to be like, but the hype train is still rolling? :D

      Delete
    2. Naturally. Why wouldn't it? xD

      Delete
  2. Cool! I look forward to reading it. I can't find it on Baka Updates. How many volumes is it? And do you plan on continuing after the first volume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably can't find it because, as I said, it's not really well known. As far as I know, there are only 2 volumes of the regular comic anthologies. There's also 3 4-koma comic anthology volumes though.

      I personally plan projects on a per volume basis. Just in case something happens and we can't continue. But we will most likely continue unless something gets in the way.

      Delete